Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Healthified Muffins!!

Hi, how was everyone's day off yesterday?

After living off these two weeks ago, I wanted to share this muffin recipe with you guys.

Who loves a tasty muffin? Oh right pretty much everyone on the planet. Except nobody loves the calories that come along with that muffin. I looooooove picking at the top layer with ALL those crumbs.


When I was at Starbucks my second home today, I was checking out the muffins. With almost 400 calories, 50 carbs, and only 5 grams of protein, it is basically eating empty calories.

And after seeing this recipe, I knew I had to make a gluten free version. I missed devouring the crispy top of muffins without feeling guilty about the extra calories. So the healthy muffin treat was born.

Healthified Muffins (makes one muffin)
  • 1/4 c oats
  • 1 tbls flour (I used brown rice flour)
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  •  pinch of salt
  • 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tsp. agave syrup
  • 3/4 scoop whey protein powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set up muffin tin with cupcake holders. 
2. Combine all ingredients in a paper cup and add topping!
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
    
I made a variety of different kinds of muffins since I don't love eating the same thing over and over again. Some had blueberries, peanut butter, jelly, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and some were left plain. The possibilities are endless.

I baked up a dozen to freeze for snacks for the week. For me, it was easiest to set up each flavor in a paper cup. I mixed the regular ingredients in each cup, then added the extra toppings like strawberries to it.



And the finished product....



After nibbling on all the different flavors, the muffins headed into the freezer. I've been popping them into the microwave to defrost as a snack.


Nutritional Info: (without any toppings)
  • 193.4 calories
  • 4.3 fat
  • 28 carbs
  • 17.4 protein
  • 7.8 sugar
These muffins were a huge hit with everyone. My favorite flavor was the ones with vanilla chocolate chips in it. They melted and almost tasted like caramel.           

Let me know how you like them!
-xox Ashley
Question- What is your favorite muffin flavor?

5 comments:

  1. Jelly in a muffin? That sounds really tasty. How did those ones turn out? I bet peanut butter and jelly muffins would be awfully delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo good. It reminded me of a jelly donut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of making muffins with different flavors! I will have to try these out! I'm thinking peanut butter and chocolate chips :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look awesome! I'll have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you!