Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cinnamon Buns Nom Nom

I don't know about you guys but I love baking up a sweet treat on the weekends. Perhaps it's all about that cozy feeling of staying in your pajamas eating pancakes mid-day on a Sunday. Or having no plans but to lounge around. Yes, I love that feeling.

Last weekend ended up being no exception and I attempted a new recipe for.....Cinnamon Buns!


Cinnamon Buns 
(makes 8)


For the dough:
  • 1/4 c butter
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • yeast packet
  • 1 c warm water
  • 3 1/4 c gf pizza crust mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
  • rice flour for dusting
For the Filling:
  • 1/4 c melted butter
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add 1 tbsp of the sugar to the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast packet on top of water and let sit for 5 minutes. In a separate bowl, mix butter and sugar. Add eggs and blend in.
  2. Add the yeast mixture to butter/egg mixture and blend together. Add in pizza crust mix and blend for two minutes.
  3. Cover a cookie sheet with wax paper and heavily dust it with rice flour. Spread batter over the baking sheet. It helps if you keep your hands wet so batter doesn't stick. Brush melted butter over the dough.
  4. Combine the cinnamon and sugar and pour over the batter. Begin rolling the dough over itself like a jelly roll. Cut the roll into 1inch pieces. Place the pieces onto a 8 x 8inch greased pan. It's okay to crowd them.
  5. Let the rolls rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
  6. Enjoy!
Honestly I wasn't sure how they were going to come out. I haven't had a cinnamon bun since I went gluten free (about 3 years ago) so I didn't know if these could compete with the real thing. But oh my gosh, they were fantastic!
This is kind of embarrassing, but I ate two right out of the oven! Nothing like a warm cinnamon bun in the afternoon. My eating gluten mom gave the approval too!
Homemade cinnamon buns are worth the extra effort since the taste is much better than store bought. I think I might be baking these up again for Easter.

8 comments:

  1. OMG YUM! Easter breakfast, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cinnamon buns look delicious and so moist. One of my main complaints with the kind you make out of a tube is that they get dry and there's not enough icing to make up for it. Doesn't look like these would have the same problem at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about the icing which is the best part. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. These look amazing! GF cinnamon buns might just be the perfect breakfast after my long run next weekend. I have GF all purpose flour do you think that would work? (I havent stocked my GF supplies yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that should work. I use rice flour or gf Bisquick alot in recipes because I've found it doesn't taste different. Let me know if you try them!

      Delete
  4. These look amazing! How awesome that they are gluten free, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love hearing from you!